Baseboards are one of those things in the home that are neglected until they’re really dusty and dirty, and it’s usually because they are just plain forgotten, or they’re not that fun to clean. Either way, these 10 hacks will help you clean your baseboards like a pro so you can move on to the more fun stuff in life.
1. First, remove loose dust and dirt from the top of the baseboards with a microfiber cloth, an electromagnetic dust cloth, or your handy vacuum attachment.
2. Once you have removed loose dust and dirt from the top of the baseboards, be sure to vacuum or sweep up the floor underneath so that yuck doesn’t make its way back.
3. Fill a spray bottle with warm, soapy water and wet down a small section of baseboard. Let it soak for a minute. If needed, protect the carpet or floor underneath with a towel or drop cloth.
5. A Q-tip is the perfect tool to pick up dust in tiny corners and crevices.
6. An old toothbrush makes a great little scrubber for the really dirty spots. Don’t forget to label it as a cleaning brush!
7. Don’t want to get down on your hands to knees to clean the baseboards? Try mopping them with your feet. Spray them with a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water. Put on a pair of thick cotton socks and slide one foot along the top of the baseboards, working down to the bottom. When you’re finished, just throw the socks in the washer. Or try cleaning slippers!
8. If you don’t have a lot of time to spend, give your baseboards a quick clean with a disinfectant wipe. It’ll make them look a lot better until you have more time to spend on them.
9. Here’s another easy trick for when time is limited. Take an old sock and pull it over a disposable toilet wand. Wet the sock with soapy water or a cleaning solution, and then wipe away the dirty areas.
10. Once you have clean baseboards, rub them down with a dryer sheet to repel dust and help them stay clean longer.