Love to clean and save money? These DIY magic erasers are just for you! Keep reading.
Magic erasers are one of the best tools in a home cleaning arsenal. They “magically” remove all sorts of stains and marks from walls and other surfaces that regular sponges don’t. Well, instead of spending a small fortune buying name brand magic erasers you can make your own. And for less than 10 cents apiece! Stick around while I show you the secret to homemade magic erasers that will save you tons.
The basis for any magic cleaning eraser is the sponge. It’s obvious once you hold one that it isn’t your regular sponge. Original Magic Erasers are made from melamine, which has tighter holes than a regular sponge and is more naturally abrasive. They don’t hold up nearly as long as a regular sponge, but what they lack in longevity they make up for in effectiveness. The first step to making your own magic cleaning erasers is to purchase some melamine sponges in bulk. I’ve seen the best deal at Amazon, where you can buy a 100 pack of them for only $7.59 with free shipping.
Homemade DIY Magic Erasers
Once you have your pack of melamine sponges, the other step is to load them with a cleaning solution. Don’t worry, it’s simple! Here’s how to do it:
- For every 2 sponges, you’ll need 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 teaspoon of Borax and 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Stir the solution to thoroughly dissolve the Borax and baking soda.
- Submerge the sponges in the solution and allow them to get completely soaked.
- Squeeze out excess solution, but not too much. You want the sponges to remain wet, but not dripping. Do not rinse!
- At this point, you can either use your wet sponges for a cleaning project, or allow them to dry and save them for future use.
Just as you can with Original Magic Erasers, you can use your homemade magic cleaning erasers dry, or wet them with a little bit of warm water first. And because they cost so little to make, you don’t have to worry so much about how long they last.
Thanx. These are great cute smaller and used as classroom sets of dry erasers!