They come in lots of different shapes and by lots of different names: Toilet bowl fizzies, toilet bombs, bowl cleaners, etc. Whatever you call them, homemade toilet bowl cleaners are effective, (usually) natural, and pretty easy to make. Here are the steps to make them!
- Take one cup of baking soda and put it in a bowl. Break up any clumps so that it’s fine and smooth. Add ¼ cup of citric acid to the baking soda and mix well.
2. In a separate glass, add ½ teaspoon of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. This is the part of the fizzie (or toilet bomb) that’s going to act as a cleaning and disinfecting agent, so it’s definitely necessary.
3. Next, add this mixture drop by drop to the baking soda and citric acid mixture. Do this slowly, because if not, the chemicals will react together and make a big mess. Once they’re all together, continue to mix well.
4. The last ingredient that you’ll add is the essential oils! This is the best part because, here, you can customize the toilet cleaner to smell exactly how you want it to! There are a few essential oils that are traditionally used for toilet cleaners (like mint), but it’s not necessary. Add about 15 to 20 drops to the mixture.
5. One last time, mix everything together until it’s completely stirred up. From there, scoop out the paste in small, rounded clumps onto a piece of parchment paper. If you want, you can slightly mist them with a mixture of equal pats water and vinegar. This will create a crust around the toilet cleaners so they stick together better.
6. Now you just have to let them sit for four hours, or just overnight (to make sure they really settle well). There’s’ no need to put them in the freezer or fridge, they will harden by themselves naturally.
7. The only thing left is to put them in a container, place it in your bathroom, and use the toilet cleaners whenever you need them! It’s a good idea to label the container as toilet cleaners, that way your guests don’t think they’re mints!
Leave a Reply